OK, so the weekend is over and now it is time to start sending out your resume again. What sort of tactics are you using? Are you using the shotgun approach? Are you doing your research and sending your resume to hiring managers that have an actual opening? Are you sending your resume on the job boards? Well, let me tell you my opinions on each and maybe that will give you some ideas...
OK, so we all know that looking for a job is about as much fun as watching paint dry on a winter day. It takes forever, it can be no fun at all etc. Well you know what isn't fun for a hiring manager or recruiter? A shotgun. Now a days there are so many people looking for a job that they don't care which position they are submitting for. All they care about is getting the resume in front of SOMEONE!!! Well, the problem with that is that not only is your resume going to end up in the delete bin but it also may have a chance of ticking someone off. Again, I get it. I know why you are doing it. And in some cases it might make sense. You need a job....bottom line. Just remember though that you are running the chance of ticking someone off.
The next way (and believe you me there are TONS of ways to do a search) is to actually do your homework and see who is hiring. Just because a company is on the job boards doesn't mean they are hiring. Just because a company isn't on a job board doesn't mean they AREN'T hiring. Weird stuff I know.
When a job is posted on the job board one would think that there is a job open. For a lot of none recruiting companies that probably is the case. On the other hand when it is a recruiting firm/agency they could be fishing. Meaning, they want to find a really good candidate with the skill set they advertised. When they get that person then they can call up companies and see if they may have a need for this killer candidate.
Getting to my other comment, just because there isn't anything on the job board doesn't mean that there isn't a job. Do some research, go on LinkedIn or some of the other social networking sites. Find a person in HR or the department you would like to be in. If you have their email shoot them one with your resume. Let them know why you would rock in their company. Remember though, you are probably going to get less responses back than actual responses. The response you may get is that "there is nothing right now but I will keep you in mind". Don't be discouraged!!!! This can and usually is a good thing. You have put a seed in the managers mind. That seed may say "there is someone looking for XYZ position". In a day, week, month from now that position might pop up and who is going to come to mind?
Alright, speaking of job searches, I have to get back on mine. More to come.
I look at the job boards. Then like a sniper I adjust my resume for wind and elevation and fire. I'll apply to about 8 jobs a day with this method. so far I've got a lot of interviews but no actual offers. So I'm not sure if it's working. I might apply to multiple jobs at one company.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good plan. I really like the analogy.
ReplyDelete